Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Empire Strikes Out

After the recent story of the cancellation of a talk by Archbishop Desmond Tutu (See the story below) it was good news that Father Dennis Dease, President of Saint Thomas, decided that he had made a mistake and reinstated the invitation. (For the full announcement, click here) The initial cancellation was the result of pressure by Jewish/Israel lobby organizations like the Zionist Organization of America. The large number of emails, letters and phone calls from individuals and organizations like Sabeel and Jewish Voices for Peace persuaded Father Dease that he had made a mistake. He said: “I did not have all the facts and points of view. I do now.” The bad news is that I did not help. Shortly after I posted on this subject, I received a call from a friend who had read it. She said: “This is an outrage. You need to write St. Thomas.” Unfortunately I said to myself “What difference will one email from me make?” I was wrong. Tom Friedman’s latest column talks about the power of one involved individual to make a difference. (For the column, click here) I promise to get involved next time.

No comments: